Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's all in the details

I find myself always trying to work out the details of my home to make it just right! We're pretty much done with all the big remodel jobs, besides the floors, which will take a while to save for, so lately it's been all about the details!

We thought that when we got wood floors we would tear up the tile in the kitchen, because we've never been 100% happy with it. The previous owners put it in right before we bought it, and they put bright white grout in! Well, it looks great with our cabinets, but when we have kids the white will last about 2.5 seconds! So, I decided that I would give color sealing a try in hopes to salvage the existing floors!

Why I picked a busy work week to do this, I have no idea. Whenever I get an idea in my head I have the urge to do it immediately! So, that week I had five transcripts ordered, two sets of coasters ordered, and two casserole dishes ordered, and still managed to do the grout somehow!


The night before I used an acid cleaner and a brush from Lowe's to clean the grout! We've only lived here a year and the cleaner was taking it from a light brown to a white! WARNING: I got a little splash of it on my stainless fridge, so there's a mark that you can't remove, which made me nauseous that we did that, but I'll get over it...but we warned NOT to let any of it touch stainless!

The next day I sealed it! Thankfully I had a friend from church I asked about this, and she said her parents had used the stuff at Lowe's...and thankfully I ran into her mom at Lowe's while purchasing this, and she told me what tool to use! We used this bottle that had a Styrofoam roller on the bottom. This actually quit working at about 8:30 that night, after a whole day of using it...and we resorted to using a dog toothbrush, which I actually think worked better! This is tedious, tedious work, because you have to use a washcloth to get all the excess off on the tile! But, I think it will be totally worth it to not have to worry about staining my grout!


SECOND WARNING: I was about in tears by the end of the day! My body HURT! My knees were bruised, my feet felt bruised, by butt bone felt bruised all from spending a whole day and two nights on that tile!!!

That was WAY too many words about grout! :)


The other day at my brother's house I noticed my sister-in-law had a pot holder hanging from a hook on her stove, and I thought that was genious, because my pot-holder/towel drawer was getting too full for pot holders, and I needed them at-hand. She gave me one of her hooks that came off a pot-rack, but it didn't fit on my handle!!! So, I went to Lowe's and got an S hook in the chain aisle, had the hubs hammer it to the right size, and then sprayed it black with some left-over spray paint! I think it looks great, and is another functional decoration like the post yesterday! :)


So think of some things around your house that would make your life more functional and your surroundings prettier!

No comments: