Friday, May 17, 2013

A Few Home Updates

We've been working on the house a little bit. Let's face it, I'm here 24/7. I want my home to be somewhere I feel comfortable and that's esthetically pleasing.  I'm always changing things or always working my brain around things to change.  Not including the kids' rooms, which will be changing in the next couple months, there's still two rooms that I wouldn't mind making some changes to, but that shall wait. 


First off, my talented hubby built this desk for me with help from his dad.  I designed it, painted and stained it, but he did all the rest!! We needed to get rid of the office to make room for Weston's nursery, and the best place to do that is here in the formal living room, but it's right when you walk in the front door, so I didn't want a plain-old-ugly desk.  I decided to do built-ins, light and bright with the white, and the hubby made a butcher block top, which I think turned out great!


This piano was originally where the desk was.  We got rid of an armoire desk that was between those two windows.  I added a brighter fabric to the bench to add a pop of color and a few antique finds to the top to complete it.  


Next up is our kitchen table.  We had a counter-height table with bar stools.  I knew that that needed to go because by the time Kiley is ready to nix the booster seat and sit in a chair I still wouldn't feel comfortable with her sitting on a high stool with no back on it.  I found this old oak table at a local antique store and purchased the white chairs new. I love how it turned out!!


I added some color to our bedroom last winter.  I made the chevron curtains, bought the print hanging above the dresser, and got new shams and a quilt for the bed.  This is one room that I wouldn't mind making some changes to, and I know the hubby wants to also because he wants a bigger dresser.  I would love to get an actual bed, you know, with a headboard AND foot board, instead of the headboard I bought when we first got married as a cheap alternative. I think the pop of color will hold me off for a while until I find the right furniture for this room!!

I'm really looking forward to doing the kids' rooms.  I will get to painting soon, but won't move Kiley out of her crib till August, most likely, so she'll have a month to get used to it before Weston's arrival.  Her room is being painted ivory and will be done in pink and blue, but more of a BIG girl pink and blue, and Weston's room will be painted light grey and be done in navy and red - They'll both be SO cute and I can't wait to see the results!

No comments: